gregbo (gregbo) wrote,

catching up

The winter concert went pretty well on 12/19. I think we had a full house. I was a bit concerned that the audience wouldn't be able to hear me and Nancy, because we sung our duet from behind the piano (not near any mics). However, people in the audience assured me that they could hear us fine. I was glad that some of my ballroom dancing friends were able to make it to the concert.

I had to spend the next couple of days getting ready for my trip to Florida to visit my parents. That mostly involved a lot of household stuff.

I left for Florida on Sunday night. The second leg of the trip from Salt Lake City to Atlanta was difficult because I wasn't able to sleep. I slept a bit in the Atlanta airport, but was very tired by the time I got to Daytona Beach. I tried to stay awake to adjust to EST but I had to give in to a couple of hours sleep.

For most of my time in Florida, I was tired and mostly just wanted to stay at home and rest. I did manage to do a few useful things for my parents, such as installing AOL 9.0 and Norton AntiVirus. (They don't have broadband, so the virus updates took a long time to download.) But I was tired overall, and had some feelings of depression and sadness off and on related to the upcoming layoff. My back also started bothering me, due to sleeping on a sofabed that was too small and uncomfortable.

When my sister arrived on the night of 12/24, we drove straight from the airport to a Christmas Eve service at the church my parents attend. I don't recall the last time I've been to a Christmas Eve service (if ever). On Christmas Day we had breakfast, opened some presents, and listened to last year's Aurora Singers holiday concert before dinner.

On the way back to San José from Atlanta I couldn't sleep again. However, I was able to do something useful -- I read the first 75 pages of the Addison-Wesley VPN book. When I finally got home, it was really cold. There was almost no food at home, so I had to go to the supermarket after unpacking. (Thank goodness for 24x7 supermarkets.)

Overall, it was a good trip. I was just too tired and (somewhat) depressed to feel merry.


  • Ciena interview

    I had an onsite interview at Ciena a couple of weeks ago for a Senior Systems Test position. Long story short — I didn't get the job. I think they…

  • ProtonMail test

    I took a test from 7-9am this morning from ProtonMail, a secure email provider based in Geneva, Switzerland, that has an office in SF. The test was…

  • IBM interview

    I had an interview loop yesterday at the IBM Silicon Valley Lab facility with several people from the Cloud Network Services group. Four engineers…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.