Then we started on the new music. The first thing we worked on was the version of Plenty Good Room with my solo that we have performed in three of the last four spring concerts. It is fortunate that I have been listening to some past performances and practicing because I was able to do the solo reasonably well, although I stumbled a bit in the non-solo parts. We're bringing back a couple more pieces from the past, Open The Window, Noah and Ride the Chariot. We'll also be doing Soon Ah Will Be Done, which I performed when I was in the Men's Glee Club at UCLA. This version is SATB, so I'll have to be careful not to get too caught up in the music and start singing the baritone part from the TTBB version. It Don't Mean A Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing was in our folders, but we're not going to do it because our director doesn't think we have enough time to learn it. Too bad ... I got to do a little dance number in that one the last time we did it, and I know a lot more patterns now than I did a few years ago.
I'm up to the chapter on tiling and coloring problems in Engel's text. I'll have to find ways to expand my thinking on some of these problems, because I don't have much intuition for how to do them right now. I wish I had a book like this when I was taking graph theory at UCLA; it would have been helpful to have solutions or at least clues to some of the problems in the text and course notes.